Thursday, February 24, 2005

Well, about the Guevara, Seth: I picked up the book because I used the movie (and consequently the book) in my Humanities410 paper. If you would like to blame it on anybody you can blame it on one of my professors, Dr. Plies, who recommended the movie to me. When I get back I plan on researching a lot about Guevara. He interests me only for how he could go from the innocence of "The Motorcycle Diaries" to the other things he did, which I am still not positively clear about.

On Tuesday I got a package delivery, which was very exciting. My parents sent the package to Ralph Crain in San Diego, and he was going to bring it down here. However, because of all the rain we have had (Tijuana getting even more), it had been hard for him to get out of TJ. But, the waiting taught me a lot of patience, and Tuesday I was a happy girl, getting peanut butter, sour patch kids, crossword puzzles, two new books I asked for, and another book my mom picked up for me. The extra book is called "When Our Hearts Were Young and Gay" and is by Cornelia Otis Skinner?). It is about her trip abroad with her good friend from her college, Bryn Mawr, in the early 20s. I just read the first couple chapters and I think it will be a lot of fun reading it. It is going to go right in the theme of other books lately: On the Road by Jack Kerouac, and having read The Motorcycle Diaries. Trips and adventures.

Monday started off normal and the kids came in the morning. About 10:30, though, it started raining very strongly and Abel and Rosa started taking the kids home. I decided to ride with Abel on his last trip up to Triki (not sure how to spell that). It is up by the hospital for those of you who know the town. I wanted to see what all this mud and exciment was. Well... it sure was a trip and I am glad I went. At times it was very scary, although I don´t know what was scarier, the huge lakes we drove through, or sliding around in a big old 15 passenger van, in the mud. We were literally sliding back and forth on their "streets". The last thing I wanted to do was get out and have to push or something. We got all those kids home safely. It rained the rest of the day, so no kids on Tuesday. It rained Tuesday night so no kids on Wednesday. There were also no kids today although it has been warm and sunny. Rosa said it just still too muddy. Tomorrow though, all the kids should be here except the kids from Candlelaria, which gets hit twice as hard as other places with all the mud.

The girls still come in for three or four hours to work on projects, so I have been working on the March bulletin board (which I am going to take a picture of) and doing other various things. Tuesday it was sunny and i laid out on a bench and thought to myself "I am actually in Mexico...". Sometimes it is still hard to believe that I am so many miles from home, all by myself. Welcome Home is very familiar to me, people have been wonderful to me, and so I feel very at home. So, on occasion I have to remind myself of where I am! I realize that might sound a little odd.

Tuesday afternoon I went to the globos with the girls. Most of the streets have huge lakes in them so it was hard to maneuver around them all. We didn´t do much besides just look around. Most of the time the girls just want to take a walk, and are up to going to a store or the globos.

I am just starting to get in line all of my interviews from my project on Mexican history and I am excited for those. There is so much information I am accumulating through my reading about the government and history of Mexico that sometimes I feel like I have too much information to try and condense.

I guess that is all for now. Thanks mom, for the idea. I put some bleach down there, and it has worked, though i think the smell might be coming back. I´ll try your idea next.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home